I hadn't been in South Auckland long when I met Janina and within a few weeks we were extremely close friends and even now, after being back in the UK for over 2 years, she is still one of the best friends I have. But her family has a really difficult past - her little brother, Harry, isn't actually her brother but her cousin. His parents were sentenced to jail for beating to death his baby sister. It's not a one off case either, the issue with domestic and child abuse in New Zealand is well documented.
"Between 1991 and 2000 there were 91 child homicides, all but two of which concerned excessive physical abuse. These cases, and others that occurred in the early 2000s, put New Zealand among the worst performing nations for child mortality due to mistreatment."
The reason I'm thinking about this now is that there has been an article going around Facebook recently about a horrific child abuse case in New Zealand, and the reading of it is harrowing. How anyone could treat another human, let alone a defenceless child, like that is beyond belief!
It took a while for me to get used to the idea of swapping babies around in the Pasifika families I met in Auckland. There was a habit of one woman having a baby, but if she had too many then she might give her sister one of her children, or let her mother raise them. Part of me just had to take a step back and say 'if they're being looked after by a family member then I shouldn't interfere' but the whole practice went against everything I had been raised with. I'm one of the minority in this world in that I was born to two people who have stayed married now for almost 34 years and were happily married throughout my childhood, and for that I am eternally grateful.
Perhaps because of this though I always put this idea of a family onto a pedestal and have had to, over the last 10 years or so, begin to adjust my way of thinking to take into account that this 'man, woman + kids' is not the only form of family you can get! I've got plenty of friends who come from one parent families, some who have two mums or two dads, some who have step parents and parents, and all of them have a different idea on family. But none of these have come close to the Maori (I'll use Maori as the basis, but it spills over into all the Pasifika groups too) concept of it.
To clarify a bit I will try to introduce the three key Maori words relating to family:
Iwi - Translated literally as bone, the iwi is the largest of the social units in the Maori culture. It's sort of like the tribe or people who you come from and where your ancestors are from. Historically most Maori people lived on the land of their iwi and would grow up there, but now less and less people do and a lot of the Maori's I worked with in South Auckland didn't know or associate very much with their iwi, and so had no real bond to it.
Hapū - A hapū is a group within an iwi that is linked by a genealogical connection. So usually within a hapū you have lots of interrelated families. This is a smaller group than an iwi and there are usually about 400 people in each hapū. You are born into your hapū but then if you marry would be married into another one, or maybe more than one - so many people are members of numerous hapū but maybe only one iwi. It's a closer connection and people will tend to see their hapū family more often, particularly for funerals, weddings, celebrations etc.
No comments:
Post a Comment